qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw pckbd.c

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw pckbd.c
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:43:32 +0200

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:08 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> > > If you're interressed in such a feature, you may take a look of what
> > > I've done in hw/ppc405_uc.c. There are some device sharing the same
> > > memory page on those microcontrollers so I introduced a fake device
> > > called mmio that allow to register multiple devices into a single page
> > > in Qemu. I do use the serial_mm_init with the ioregister parameter set
> > > to 0 for those designs.
> > > This code may not be as generic as it would be if we want to make it a
> > > standard Qemu function, but this may give a basis or ideas for it.
> >
> > On Sparc32 there are several devices that would benefit from sub-page
> > granularity, so I vote for making this generic.
>
> While you're fixing this, it would be good to fix overlapping devices as
> well ;-) Currently if you (temporarily) have overlapping regions then remove
> one of them you end up with unmapped memory.

What is the correct behavior in such a case ? What device would you
actually see ? May be it different to one architecture to another ?
I think there are busses and/or architectures where this is not
possible, you would only get a fault on the bus in such a case. So it
seems to me not to be easy to find a generic and appropriate way to fix
this behavior, don't you think ?

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized