qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h hw/acpi.c hw/adlib.c ...

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h hw/acpi.c hw/adlib.c ...
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:45:26 +0100

On Saturday 07 April 2007 21:28, J. Mayer wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 20:10 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> > >
> > > The patches in the PowerPC target seem complete nonsense.
> >
> > Can you give specific examples?
>
> I'm talking about the CPU code.
> There is NO notion of external IRQ allocation in the PowerPC
> specification.

Quoting from ppc.c (both before and after my patch):

/*****************************************************************************/
/* PowerPC internal fake IRQ controller
 * used to manage multiple sources hardware events

My patch did not change how this worked at all. It just changed it from using
an ad-hoc system of callpacks and opaque parameters to using a standard
mechanism for connecting interrupt sources, be they internal or external.

MIPS works exactly the same way.

> Where do you see that a
> machine with a PowerPC cannot manage more than 32 IRQ ?

Any PPC that needs more that 32 internal interrupt sources is already broken.
Notice how the old bitmask is a uint32_t.

> SO your patch is a complete nonsense and YES IT BREAKS MY WORKS SO IT
> HAS TO BE REVERTED.

I can only fix the code that I have access to.

IMHO your request that I revert changes because they allegedly break code that
noone else has access to is unreasonable. My changes are a significant
cleanup to qemu internals.

However if there is agreement from other maintainers I will revert my patch.

Paul