qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.9.0 and svn don't build with -march=pentium2 etc.; wa

From: Thomas Orgis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 0.9.0 and svn don't build with -march=pentium2 etc.; was: Latest SVN fails to build on Fedora Core 6 (same with 0.9.0)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:58:25 +0100

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:13:00 +0100
schrieb Sunil Amitkumar Janki <address@hidden>:

> I have seen this error as well when building with i686/pentium3/athlon
> optimisations. As I am doing a course on x86 assembly programming
> at the moment I can tell you that it suffers from register starvation
> and the message tells you that there aren't enough registers left.

Yeah, that's the message... what I wonder is this is to be expected.
Does SSE steal or add registers?
-march=pentium-mmx -m3dnow
seems to work, though. Is it just a coincidence that gcc optimizattion
uses some registers with high march (and SSE) that it didn't use with lower
march?
I'm wondering if it's the code that is just lucky to compile with some
march settings and not so lucky with others or if it's a gcc bug or
whatever...

Thomas.