qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Potential sparc32 MMU bug

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Potential sparc32 MMU bug
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:17:45 -0500

It definitely gets blocked by something: if I leave the the trap table
in the .text section, the write silently fails.  If I move the trap
table to the .data section, the write succeeds.  If I move the trap
table over to .rodata, the write fails again.  What are you looking at
that suggests the whole sparc bios is loaded read/write?

On 2/16/07, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
On Friday 16 February 2007 16:55, Peter wrote:
> While working on getting SunOS to boot under qemu, I ran into a very
> odd bug, and I'm not sure whose fault it is.
>
> The SunOS bootloader tries to install trap 0 by writing to the trap
> table.  The trap table is in the .text (read-only) section of the
> OpenBIOS ROM.

I don't know about sparc, but it's normal for writes to ROM to be ignored.
However by my reading the sparc bios is loaded into RAM anyway, so it
shouldn't matter.

Paul