qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] problem with 64/64 guest running grub

From: Werner Dittmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] problem with 64/64 guest running grub
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:06:03 +0100

Doing some more tests and trying to get more info about the problem
shows some common behaviours:

- the problems are with the x86_64 emulation regardless if it is
  running on a 32bit or 64bit host (in my case always Linux host)

- The problems happen in all qemu modes: no kqemu, user kqemu, kernel
  kqemu. The main difference: happens on different times during the
  installation process

- It happens (at least this is what I can see) only if the 64 bit kernel
  that runs in qemu-system-x86_64 executes a 32 bit application. For
  example grub is a 32 bit application that runs in the 64bit kernel,
  some installation programs (at least in Suse) are also 32bit applications.

The last statement is supported by the following oberservation: when
Qemu crashes or hangs I very often see some strange register values, for
example:

RBX=ffffffff80523028
RSP=ffffffff80522dc0
RIP=ffffffff8025e67c

If you remove the ff s then you have e.g. a instrution pointer address
that is usually a valid address of a 32bit environment. IMHO something
could be wrong with 32bit support inside qemu-system-x86_64.

Any more ideas where to look to "embrace" the problem?

Regards,
Werner