qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Tracing guest memory accesses

From: Diwaker Gupta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Tracing guest memory accesses
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:19:54 -0800

On 12/16/06, Daniel Jacobowitz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 07:42:46PM -0800, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> o do these changes seem correct? As in, do they actually track the
> read/write memory accesses done by the guest? I was concerned because
> when I start a guest, I see a whole lot of writes and not as many
> reads, which seems a little counter intuitive.

No.  Those are I/O device accesses, not memory accesses.  Look at the
softmmu code instead.

Like I said, I did add some debugging code to softmmu_template.h. The
read/writes I'm seeing are being generated by that softmmu debugging
code, not the iommu code. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Is there some other
softmmu code I should be looking at?

It may be easiest to add some new instrumentation in the translation
code for whatever target you're interested in.

I'm just focusing on Linux i386. I'm only beginning to explore the
qemu source, so any pointer to files/functions I should look at will
be much appreciated!

TIA,
Diwaker
--