qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Everything OK with kqemu vs. new SUNWqemu-0.8.2, REV=2006.1

From: Martin Bochnig
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Everything OK with kqemu vs. new SUNWqemu-0.8.2, REV=2006.10.18-sol10-i386-opt.pkg.gz for x64/x86
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 01:25:25 +0200

It was a misunderstanding.
You know, I'm new to x86 HOSTs running qemu  (doing most things on sparc
normally).

I therefore didn't have prior kqemu experience.

Eric Lowe wrote:

>>OH, oh, -kernel-kqemu does NOT work with Solaris guests.

Your binary 32bit version actually does in 70% of tested cases (Sol10_U2
boot DVD and marTux_0.2_x64__snv46) !
It does work with  -kernel-kqemu and boots into marTux_0.2 x86 OpenSolaris
32bit mode!
This is what confused me, and which made me believe, we had been talking about

A)
(appropriate kqemu loaded)  &&  (-kernel-kqemu)

rather than

B)
(appropriate kqemu loaded)  &&  !(-no-kqemu)

all the time.
A total misunderstanding which made me wonder, how to see the light.

>>You can only use kqemu without any kqemu parameters to QEMU so it does the
>>default of virtualizing only the user-mode bits and emulating CPL=0.

Ahh, cool.
Then I simply misunderstood the help-comment/option-description of
-kernel-kqemu, when I believed, "user-mode bits" only applies to the
linux_X_linux usermode case (not softmmu full system emulation).
Well, then it works ok what I get.
I need to do a performace analysis covering module_loaded versus
driver_removed (or -no-kqemu).

>>-kernel-kqemu does appear to work OK with Linux and Windows guests.

Sun_JDS1-Linux yes.
Dos/Win9x no. (also a no-go with /opt/SUNWqemu/32/bin/qemu from your
previous binary tar archive version, whereas OpenSolaris guests do work with
your 20061002 version)
Apparrently NT based Win would potentially work with -kernel-kqemu, when you
say that you could sucessfully boot into XP.

Do Linux-HOSTS running qemu/kqemu have the same incompatibility problems with
certain guests (i.e. OpenSolaris or Win9x), or rather the BSD
kqemu wrapper which you have ported to Solaris?

>>After discussing with Fabrice the ins and outs of -kernel-kqemu I built a
>>kernel which fixes some of the issues (Solaris has some naughty code which
>>clears IF using POPF instead of using the CLI instruction) but there is one
>>problem I could not solve kernel-side; kqemu does not do full page table
>>shadowing for the kernel but instead updates the page tables of the guest
>>in-situ with the translated pfns. Solaris gets very cranky about this since
>>it assumes that the PTE.pfn == page_t.p_pagenum when doing the reverse
>>translation. In your case I think you probably got bitten instead by an
>>interrupt coming into the guest when it expected interrupts to be off -- the
>>dispatcher does some twiddling with interrupts in some of its code which
>>invoke the bad macro that uses PUSH $2 followed by POPF to clear IF.

Interesting.
I need to play around with that.

>>Testing without -kernel-kqemu should not have any problems.. if you do
>>encounter any problems let me know.

The only problem is, that the Sol10_U2 DVD stops booting the installer
after Configuring Devices.
^C brings me to the # prompt  (letting it running over night doesn't
have it make progress).
Not sure why that happens.
May not have to do with kqemu.

--->>
Thanks for introducing me to the kqemu(-wrapper) matter.
The more respect do I have for your wrapper-port.

-Martin