qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 17:58:51 +0100

Jim C. Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 05:30:19AM -0700, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/linux_messe.php?ID=124&STEP=&lang=en
> >
> > I don't see Qemu mentioned at all. I wonder if any of the
> > developers have been contacted at all. I thing it is a pity that once
> > againg Qemu is ignored.
> >
> > Ottavio
>
> qemu is primarily a dynamic translator not a virtualizer.

VMware is also a dynamic translator for some code.  "Full"
virtualisation (i.e. not like Xen) requires that.

> I suppose that qemu could get in by virtue of kqemu.

qemu+kqemu is a useful, powerful, versatile x86 virtualisation
package.  It really should be mentioned at a conference on the
subject.  But maybe the conference is only for commercially-backed
parties?

> That [kqemu] is closed source but being closed source hasn't stopped
> VMware.

Don't forget qvm86, which is intended as an open source drop-in
replacement for kqemu.

-- Jamie