qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment

From: James Olsen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:57:24 -0500

Hello,

TM> Another question is  : Can we run run many VM using more RAM than the
TM> RAM installed (on the workstation)? For example I'd like to create 5
TM> VM's who have 256MB (can use 256MB but only for a slice of time) but
TM> normally one VM use only 50MB. On the workstation I have only 512MB
TM> RAM. Is it possible to create these VM's or have we to have 5 X 256
TM> RAM + HOST RAM = 1.5 GB installed on the workstation?

TM> I think we can save ressource by using RAM overcomittment. What do
TM> you think? Is this implemented on qemu? Or will be implemented?

It seems to me that no change to QEMU is needed for this; it should
already be supported by your host OS. Simply allocate the memory that
you want (256mb, for example) for each virtual machine. Depending on
how many virtual machines you have open at once, as well as the memory
used by the host OS and any other applications you're running, the
host OS will fit the as much as it can in the physical ram, and
automatically swap out the excess allocated memory to disk.

However, swapping (using virtual memory) will be a huge performance
killer. It will affect the performance of your host OS and all
applications, as well as for your QEMU instances.

--
James
Funny quotes: "There are 10 types of people in the world.