qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Kernel panic while executing "exit" in MIPS Linux targe

From: Neo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Kernel panic while executing "exit" in MIPS Linux target on I32 Linux host
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:01:21 -0500

Stefan Weil wrote:
Neo schrieb:
hi,

I am running qemu (latest version from CVS) on my I32 Linux desktop to
emulate the MIPS arch. While running the mips-test-0.1.tar.gz
<http://www.qemu.org/mips-test-0.1.tar.gz>, everything works fine
except executing the "exit" command. I got the following information.

BusyBox v1.01 (Debian 1:1.01-4) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # help

Built-in commands:
-------------------
       . : break cd chdir command continue eval exec exit export false
       hash help let local pwd read readonly return set shift times
       trap true type ulimit umask unset wait

~ # exit

Is it a bug or not?

Thanks,
Neo

No bug. With exit, you terminate the shell (/bin/sh).
In this test, /bin/sh is the init process which normally
never terminates while your OS is running. If it does,
you get a kernel panic ...

Thank you for your explanation. But why there is no kernel panic when the target host is PC?

Neo
Stefan