qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] glibc abort if -snapshot is used

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] glibc abort if -snapshot is used
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:48:23 -0400

FYI... you can actually run the unstripped binaries from the build tree
instead of the target installation directory.  For example, if you have
qemu installed in /opt/qemu, but you built in
/home/andrew/packages/src/qemu, instead of:

/opt/qemu/bin/qemu

run:

/home/andrew/packages/src/qemu/i386-softmmu/qemu

replace i386-softmmu with whatever target you are trying to run if
that's not it.  The binary is not stripped until after it's installed in
the target directory, so you can use the one in the build directory for
debugging if needed.

- Leo Reiter

Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 22:40 -0500, Rene Horn wrote:
>> Why not just build it right from the source instead of using
>> debhelper?  With that, just have install into /usr/local.
>
> Well, apparently QEMU's build system strips the binaries on it's own so
> debhelper is irrelevant to this particular problem. Anyway, after
> moving /usr/bin/strip out of the way and symlinking that to /bin/true, I
> have a backtrace I hope will be of use to Fabrice or someone else:
<snip>

--
Leonardo E. Reiter
Vice President of Product Development, CTO

Win4Lin, Inc.
Virtual Computing that means Business
Main: +1 512 339 7979
Fax: +1 512 532 6501