qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Resuming a guest freezes on high resolutions

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Resuming a guest freezes on high resolutions
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:58:26 +0400

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
This is a PCI save/restore issue. I am working on it. In between you can boot and wait until the VGA is initialized by the guest OS and then do the loadvm.

If you did this, I would have thought you were letting the guest alter the state of the disk image, you then loadvm a suspended guest that believes the disk image is in a different state.

Kinda like hibernating linux, loading a live cd and mounting the filesystem and then resuming linux. All hell will break loose as the suspended system expects the on-disk state to be exactly as it was left, but something has messed with it in the mean time.

I kinda did this when I hibernated winxp on my box, then wrote to an auxiliary fat32 partition I have here within my linux session, then later resumed winxp. Windows does not cope with something altering the disk underneath it at all, and all hell broke loose. It would be easier if windows let you unmount a partition :(

Brad