qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?

From: Julian Seward
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:56:12 +0100

> > Really? My win2k install couldn't do anything useful with -std-vga.
> > It would only do the very basic 640x480x4 mode. I'm fairly sure win9x
> > can't do anything useful with straight VGA either.
>
> Same here.  Also std-vga seemed to be slower than cirrus when I tried
> it recently on my linux guests, although I haven't actually measured
> anything.

My mistake; Win2K doesn't like -std-vga.  I confused 2K and XP.

> > > Overall it seems to work much better than the default 5446
>
> Julian, in what way is std-vga better than the cirrus emulation?

I can go above 1024x768, which is realistically something I need in
order to use QEMU as a viable replacement for VMware.

With SuSE 10.1 guest I can't even get 1024x768 with Cirrus.  SuSE
claims it's doing 1024x768 but what I get is 1024x600.

> > In my experience the Cirrus emulation "just works", and is supported
> > by pretty much every OS out the box. AFAIK Windows earlier than XP
> > doesn't needs additional 3rd party drivers to support anonymous VESA
> > hardware.

I agree that avoiding additional drivers is good.  However it seems that
both cirrus and std-vga have their shortcomings and neither is an ideal
out-of-the-box solution right now.