qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:39:14 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 18:21 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> An VMWare player "appliance" is really just a disk image & config file.
> Running a disk image in QEMU is just a matter of executing
>
>    qemu -hda /path/to/image
>
> Perhaps adding "-m XXX" to set increased  RAM.
>
> This is no harder to do than using VMWare player
>
>   vmplayer  /path/to/appliance
>
> Since QEMU already understands VMWare disk images, there's even a good
> chance that QEMU can run a VMWare "appliance" image itself. So it looks
> to me that QEMU is already on a par with VMWare player in terms of being
> able to quickly & simply test 'appliance' images.
>
> Dan.

To add to this and my previous mail, I'd like to point to ReactOS, which is
distributed in various forms for simple testing, including a version bundled
with qemu: http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/download.html

With regards,
Jan

PS: As qemu is really small compared to VMware Player, it poses only very
little overhead to bundle it with the image (one could even hack some sort of
selfextracting executable qemu+imagefile)