qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Updated BGR vs. RGB vga patch...

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Updated BGR vs. RGB vga patch...
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:41:31 -0400

You can definitely figure it out by asking the X server or SDL. I don't know enough SDL to have hacked it in myself. X is pretty simple on the other hand.

As for where to add it, I agree that the low level conversions are not a great place to add this. I didn't originate the patch, I just updated it. Unfortunately none of the VGA is optimized - everything happens pixel by pixel already. Adding what probably amounts to 2 instructions (probably a couple of clock cycles) per pixel doesn't seem to do anything for performance really. The VGA is already slow.

Unfortunately X11 will not allow you to force a certain color order in 24-bit mode. You can tell it to force byte-order but this only affects 16-bit blits - it's ignored for 24-bit since the individual components of the 24-bit blits, even if packed into 32-bits, are still 8-bits long. That's what the color masks are for. There is no efficient way to do this at the server level that I can see. If you find a better way (within the current scope of the VGA architecture), I'd be glad to try to implement it. I was just sharing something that was useful to me.

Thanks,

Leo Reiter