qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new entry in Qemu forum-- Andre Pech's fix on gdbstub

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new entry in Qemu forum-- Andre Pech's fix on gdbstub
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:03:43 +0000

On Monday 20 February 2006 04:58, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Sunday 19 February 2006 22:39, Paul Brook wrote:
> > This patch is not sufficient.
> >
> > There seems to be some inconsistency whether cpu_get_phys_page_debug
> > returns the physical address or the base address of the page.
>
> Hm, I am not so sure either. Anyway, using cscope to find out which
> functions that calls cpu_phys_page_debug, seems like it is only called
> during breakpoint setup. So, what ever we do inside
> cpu_get_phys_page_debug doesn't seem affecting other places.

Ideally we'd fix the implementations of cpu_get_phys_page_debug so they are
consistent. IIRC i386-softmmu and ppc-softmmu usually return the page base
address, whereas everything else returns the actual address.
Typically the softmmu implementations use the same pagetable walking code as
the normal tlb fault handling.

The quick and nasty solution is to make breakpoint_invalidate round the
address to a page boundary before calling cpu_get_phys_page_debug, like
cpu_memory_rw_debug does.

Paul