qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] user-net -redir working?

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] user-net -redir working?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:50:44 -0500

Richard Neill <address@hidden> wrote:

> Re: User-net not working:
>
> > Disabling the Nagle algorithm (i.e., enabling TCP_NODELAY) or typing a
> > lot of garbage just to fill the buffer with enough data can help,
> > also.
> >
> > And IIRC, netcat has a UDP mode as well. I see no reason for this to
> > happen, but is there any chance it's using UDP by default, and you're
> > only redirecting TCP?
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> Thanks for your message.
>
> I think that -redir really is broken: I've also been unsuccessful in
> trying to make it work using an FTP server on a Windows guest, and using
> the SSH server on a knoppix guest. Has anyone here ever had success with
> it? It also fails on hosts with 2 different versions of Mandrake.
>
> Anyway, I've taken your suggestion, and run both ends with ethereal.
> Here's what I did:
>

> HOST (Linux);
>    qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -user-net -redir tcp:2200::22
>
> GUEST (Knoppix):
>    Boot up, then start sshd. Verify that I can indeed do ssh
>    address@hidden, and that PermitRootLogin is yes in sshd_config.
>
>     Then, start ethereal (on the "any" interface)
>

> HOST:
>    Start ethereal (on the "any" interface")
>    ssh -p 2200 address@hidden
>
>   At this point, ssh just stalls. It's obviously waiting for something,
>   but not known what. I get no output at all from it.

Can you try "ssh -p 2200 root@<my IP address not localhost>

I've run into this several times dealing with the -redir
function, especially since localhost resolves as 127.0.0.1.
On my Solaris host with a linux guest, the packet arriving
showed up as 127.0.0.1, which ended up with the same
behavior as you're describing.

Ben