qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] TAP Win32 broken for newer OpenVPN?

From: Bernd Waldboth
Subject: [Qemu-devel] TAP Win32 broken for newer OpenVPN?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:14:11 +0100

Hello,

i noticed that when I updated the OpenVPN Tap Driver
for Windows with the one coming in OpenVPN version
2.04 or 2.05, the same qemu.exe isn't able to connect
to the tap-device anymore. The old driver works without
problem. I tried it on different machines.
Did anyone else notice the same behaviour?
Maybe for the future someone is able to update the patch?
I looked through the in source of the patch
in hope for an "easy" solution like some naming thing etc.,
but I wasn't able to find anything "obvious".
My concrete problem is that I manually deployed version
2.04 of the OpenVPN Tap-driver on about 30 machines
while I tested only with an older version, and now I
saw that Qemu does not cooperate with that version
anymore. For me it would be much easier and faster to
recompile qemu with a newer patch than to manually
reinstall an older TAP driver, because i can create an
MSI package of Qemu and deploy it via Active Directory.

My configuration:
Win XP Pro SP2 + all updates
Qemu 0.72 + dma + asyncIO + tap-win32

Thanks for your help