qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and (Pacifica | Vanderpool)

From: Dave Feustel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and (Pacifica | Vanderpool)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:36:34 -0500

On Sunday 06 November 2005 10:33, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 15:19, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > Will Qemu be modified to take advantage of the hardware virtualization
> > facilities incorporated in AMD's Pacifica and/or Intel's Vanderpool
> > technogies?
>
> qemu is an emulator, not a virtualizer, so these extensions don't really help.
>
> You may want to look at Xen (www.xensource.com), which already supports these.
>
> Paul

I've been subscribed to several Xen mailing lists for about a year.
I got further in 1/2 hour with Qemu than with Xen during the past year.
(This is probably due to the fact that Xen is, so far, for all practical
purposes,
a linux-only tool so far, so I can't run it with OpenBSD). Xen will probably
become more useable with OpenBSD when Xen 3.0 arrives along with
Pacifica-enabled AMD chips.

But back to Qemu.  I have looked at the faq and the documentation, but
I don't yet see how to load files from my file system to the disk image file
used by qemu.

Also, I am interested in qemu-arm and qemu-ppc, both to run on x86 under
OpenBSD if possible.

The keyboard mapping problem I reported in a previous post goes away when
I invoke startx. The Xwindow programs all seem to get the correct keycodes.

--
Tired of having to defend against Malware?
You know: trojans, viruses, SPYWARE, ADWARE,