qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Graphic card

From: Mike Swanson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Graphic card
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:43:27 -0700

Well, it basically comes down to the fact that QEMU isn't so optimised
as much as VMware is. >_> I'm not really a developer, but I'll answer
as best as I can, and maybe somebody will correct me!

1. You can technically see videos right now, but yeah, it's not very
smooth. Oh, and the guest operating system itself will affect the
speed. Using Windows 2000, NT4, or Win95 would be a lot faster than
Windows XP (but you might not have any lower version). Someday, it
might be possible to see videos at a decent speed...
2. Not sure what you're asking, really
3. Perhaps, but there's two things here. First of all, the card would
have to be documented in a fair amount of low-level detail, something
that big video card companies rarely or never do. Secondly, the
complexity of the card might make its emulated implementation even
slower than the Cirrus one used currently
4. It sounds reasonable, but it undermines one of QEMU's goals:
running guest operating system without modification (and drivers
certainly count as one). Also, it'll possibly limit the number of
operating systems you'd run in QEMU with fancy graphics...
implementing Cirrus makes it possible to run many OSes with no (or
few) video problems, including Windows 95, Win NT 4, almost every
GNU/Linux, almost every BSD, Solaris, Darwin, Plan 9, QNX, DOS, BeOS,
etc.

--
Mike