qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu 0.7.2 and gcc 4

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu 0.7.2 and gcc 4
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:10:37 -0400

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 05:39:48PM +0200, Leonard paniq Ritter wrote:

> hm i see. well, when will gcc 4 be working with qemu? i'm asking because
> my distribution switched to gcc 4 a while ago.

A patch is already available, as noted below.

My understanding of the register allocation problem is that it is technically
a bug of gcc, not qemu. So can't say when it will be fixed.

A long term solution, called qops, that replaces the part of qemu that is gcc3
dependant, called dyngen, is in the works. This does not have the register
allocation
issue that the gcc 4 patch has, but is not complete yet. (Feel free to help
out!)

In any case, most distros allow one to use gcc33 or something to compile
programs. I think a 'make CC=gcc33' would do the trick, if you have that
compiler installed.