qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problems with Zeta LiveCD

From: Ulf Magnusson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problems with Zeta LiveCD
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:56:11 +0000

I'm trying to boot the Zeta LiveCD with QEMU. At first I tried the default boot settings (in the guest OS). That got me to the loading screen, but the boot process fails (when the disks symbol is highlighted) with the message "PANIC: The boot loader was unable to find a BeOS volume to boot from ... ".

I then accessed the boot menu (with space during boot) and selected "CD-ROM" as the boot volume (the default setting is "CD-ROM or hard drive"). The boot process still hangs at the same spot, but now the message is "Please place the BeOS CD in the CD-ROM drive". I tried ejecting the CD with "eject cdrom" in the QEMU console and then reinserting it with "change cdrom zeta.iso", but it didn't help.

I'm using a CD Image of the Zeta LiveCD. The command I'm starting QEMU with is

$ qemu -cdrom zeta.iso -boot d

I also tried booting with a disk created with qemu-img,

$ qemu -cdrom zeta.iso -hda diska -boot d

but it didn't help.

On a side note, the colors of the splash screen are wrong until you enter and exit the boot menu.

Has anyone had any success in getting Zeta to run? Could this be due to a bug in QEMU's CD-handling code?

System:
Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 #9 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
QEMU 0.7.2 (I've also tried 0.6.1)

Ulf Magnusson