qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] harddrives and QEMU

From: Thomas Steffen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] harddrives and QEMU
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:14:49 +0200

On 10/6/05, Karl Magdsick <address@hidden> wrote:
I wrote:
> In order to pass the "D drive" to qemu, and actually give QEMU access
> to the entire raw HD, the "D drive" partition would have to fill the entire
> HD, and MS Windows would have to make the MBR available as part
> of the first (only, in this case) partition on the HD.

Here I'm of course presuming that partitions aren't overlapping.

That is an interesting idea. On every other system I know, there is one partition that includes the whole disc. So if the partitioning is the problem here, it should be possible to create one partition that spans the whole disc (overlapping all other partitions), even with the classical IBM PC partition scheme. fdisk in expert mode should be able to do that.

Of course the next question is how happy windows is accessing this partition. Should be an interesting experiment at least.

Thomas