qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Current state of GCC 4 (non-)"support" on x86-64 ?

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Current state of GCC 4 (non-)"support" on x86-64 ?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:59:12 +0200

Dear list,

I understand that the current "official" qemu needs gcc 3.x and won't
compile with gcc 4.x

I also understand that using a gcc3-compiled module (kqemu, in the
present case) entails a cgg3-compiled kernel.

I successfully recompiled such a kernel and qemu. So far so good.

However, this annoys me : the distribution I use (Ubuntu amd64) has
switched (foolishly, IMHO) to gcc 4 for its' "native" kernels ... and
proprietary kernel modules packages.

Since using those proprietary modules (for video, etc ...) give a *huge*
performance boost to my poor laptop, I'd rather use them for the time
being. And since rebuilding those packages is (apparently) a $h!+load of
work, I'd rather patch qemu sources and use a "native" kernel...

Paul Brooks posted on May 12 a patch allowing compilation of qemu on a
X86-64 host with GCC4. However, he didn't mention the use of gcc 4 for
kqemu generation.

So the question is :
Does Pa ul's patch allow for successful compilation of qemu and kqemu
with GCC 4, at least on X86-64 ?

Thank you for your answers and comments !

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier