qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] X86-64 and APIC

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] X86-64 and APIC
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:13:38 +0200

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

Dear List,

Natalia Portillo noticed that XP_64 refused to install due to lack of
APICs. Filip Navara proposed an initial patch, and Fabribe Bellard
proposed :

I can include the patch with a specific option to enable it. The
option will disapear when the hack will be known to be stable.

Fabrice then commited (in July) three APIC-related patches ; the current
(0.7.2) documentation does not mention APICs. I was therefore under the
impression that this was a solved issue.

However, trying to use qemu-system-x86_64 (with kqemu) on an AMD64
system (running under Ubuntu AMD 64 with a hand-compiled (with
gcc-3.4.5) kernel) to test XP Pro_64 leads to no installation : the
system complains that it can see no APIC and cannot continue.

Is there an (undocumented) option to enable APIC emulation in this
configuration (qemu-system-x86-64 + kqemu running under Linux 2.6.12 64
bits) ?

Or did I hit an unsupported case ?
Sigh, people write me private mails about this every month. The problem with Win64 is not APIC, but ACPI (which is used to detect Local APIC among other things). I've updated version of my hack and experimental ACPI implementation from malc_, but even with these patches it's NOT POSSIBLE to install Win64. With all the local patches in my tree I'm able to get to the second stage setup, but that's all ... it's way too slow for some reason (not just normal slowness, but some bug probably).

- Filip