qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] X86-64 and APIC

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] X86-64 and APIC
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:15:59 +0200

Dear List,

Natalia Portillo noticed that XP_64 refused to install due to lack of
APICs. Filip Navara proposed an initial patch, and Fabribe Bellard
proposed :

> I can include the patch with a specific option to enable it. The
> option will disapear when the hack will be known to be stable.

Fabrice then commited (in July) three APIC-related patches ; the current
(0.7.2) documentation does not mention APICs. I was therefore under the
impression that this was a solved issue.

However, trying to use qemu-system-x86_64 (with kqemu) on an AMD64
system (running under Ubuntu AMD 64 with a hand-compiled (with
gcc-3.4.5) kernel) to test XP Pro_64 leads to no installation : the
system complains that it can see no APIC and cannot continue.

Is there an (undocumented) option to enable APIC emulation in this
configuration (qemu-system-x86-64 + kqemu running under Linux 2.6.12 64
bits) ?

Or did I hit an unsupported case ?

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier