qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Real hard disk drive for Win2k/XP host

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Real hard disk drive for Win2k/XP host
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:39:43 -0400

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:41:39PM +0900, Kazu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch supports a real hard disk drive by \\.\PhysicalDriveN
> (N=0,1,2,...) on Windows 2000/XP host. Windows 98/Me are not supported.
> You can also use slash like //./PhysicalDriveN. You can see a number in
> Administration Tools in Control Panel. This is not case-sensitive. It is
> necessary to have an administrative priviledge.This can be used like this.
>
> >qemu.exe -L .\bios -hda win2k.img -hdb \\.\PhysicalDrive0

I don't see any code for this in your patch. AFAIK qemu supports this already.

> This patch also adds a size information about CD-ROM.

It breaks non-Windows hosts. get_size() should only be called when running
on Windows and when size == -1.

Also, it is always a bad idea to have a filesystem used by both the host and
the guest OS (unless they both can see it read-only).