qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Read/Write to shares on Windows (XP Pro) host from Wind

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Read/Write to shares on Windows (XP Pro) host from Windows (2000 Adv) guest.
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:20:58 -0400

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 07:23:11PM -0700, Francois Rioux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What I manage to do with a certain success is to map network shares of the
> host in the guest (net use z: 10.0.2.2\MyShare in the guest).  I can browse
> and read files from the mapped drive.  However I can't write to it from the
> guest. I received an Access Denied message instead even if the share is set
> so Everyone has Full Control.

Well, you could try mounting the share using the IP on the ethernet card (e.g.
the lan IP) of the host.

> I don't understand why this doesn't work. Is it Windows preventing the write
> is the exchange this a limitation in QEMU or in SLiRP?  As I understand it
> SLiRP translates some tcp headers and acts as a firewall preventing incoming
> calls but autorizes outgoing calls from the guest out.  That's why web
> browsing works in user network mode.  Should't file transfer work too?  Is
> the network file sharing protocol more complex than that for writes? Or is
> that rather a Windows security issue?

Not sure. I do know that sometimes using 10.0.2.2 doesn't work but using the
lan IP does. This is due to what may be a bug in the slirp code where the
localhost ip (127.0.0.1) is not properly rewritten (into 10.0.2.2), but I'm not
sure whether or not this is the cause of the issue that you are experiencing.