qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA in Windows 2000/XP/2003

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA in Windows 2000/XP/2003
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:03:43 -0300

Fortunately, it does make a difference.

PIO is polling-base, whereas DMA is, lacking a better term (excuse my
English), transaction-based. Since no CPU arbitration is needed, quite
a few optimizations can be done because of this, like real, large
block transfers. And if you happen to search the list archives, people
have already reported significant gains when using these patches, so
even if I'm talking bullocks empirical results do exist :)

Cheers,
A.

--
"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not
have C++ in mind"