qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:14:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

I just tried this with libnet 1.1 (1.1.2.1 to be specific), and it doesn't
seem to work. Pings do not go through. I only handled the vde -> host case
though, do I need to do anything special for host -> vde packets?

Did you fake the ARP response to the guest? If not the guest won't get past ARP:ing for the host and no IP packet will be sent..

To make life simpler you should probably start testing UDP in each direction (netcat is your friend) with static ARP entries registered on both guest and host.

For host->guest packets the RAW sockets demonstrated earlier is fine if you accept that the guest packets is also duplicated on the local lan. I do not know of a method to have host->guest packets sent cleanly without duplication on the Ethernet without setting up a TUN/TAP or PPP interface.

Regards
Henrik