qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Supported OS: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Supported OS: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:21:47 -0700

Here is what I have learned so far w.r.t. freebsd.  Hope this
helps people running qemu+freebsd.

Qemu versions: qemu-0.7.0s.20050717 & qemu-0.7.1 [1] + kqemu
Host: freebsd-5.x freebsd-6, freebsd-7-current [2]
Processors: P4, AthlonXP, P4 HT[3]
VMs[4]: freebsd-4.x, freebsd-5.x, dragonfly (latest)
    netbsd-1.3.x, redhat linux (don't recall versions), plan9,
    winXP, win2k, win2k3 (an earlier beta) -- all on X86

Notes:
[1] qemu-0.7.1 works with the patches from the current qemu port.
    Hopefully Juergen Lock will update the port soon.
[2] Most of my testing is with -current but generally
    older versions have not given any trouble.
[3] Hyperthreaded P4 + kqemu works fine for the most part but
    I have encountered some problems.  Haven't had time to
    investigate further.
[4] VMs were built using various versions of qemu so they
    may or may not build with the latest qemu.

qemu-system-x86-64 brings up 6.0-BETA1-amd64 into the install
menu but then it (sysinstall) fails to find any disks!  When
stopped at the boot prompt, prior to freebsd kernel booting,
we see that the bios does detect the C disk so this likely
means the freebsd probe code is using some feature that qemu
does not emulate.

Typically I test all unix VMs by fetching sources, rebuilding
everything and rebooting -- this is a pretty good test for
real h/w as well!  I have used only the tap device, not user
mode networking (slirp).  Networking works well enough.  NFS
mounting the host FS works but is rather slow.  I have not
tested sound.  With kqemu VMs run about twice as slow as real
h/w.  Not bad at all!

qemu+gdb works very well for debugging freebsd kernels! (I
believe I sent the details on some freebsd list earlier which
you can search for).

For convenience I use if_bridge and run a local dhcpd that
serves DHCP requests on the bridge0 device.  In addition I
use NAT using pf.  /etc/qemu-ifup looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
sbin/ifconfig $1 up
/sbin/ifconfig bridge0 deletem $1  2>/dev/null
/sbin/ifconfig bridge0 addm $1

This combination allows me to run multiple VMs (I just
suspend (^Z) the ones not in use).  The only fiddling I do is
to use a script to ensure that different VMs use different
MAC address.

-- bakul