qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:49:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

I tried using libnet 1.0 to send the packets, but that did not help. Also
tried libnet 1.1, that actually allowed the host to be pinged by the guest -
part of the time. It also caused pings on the same lan (from the guest) to fail
as well sometimes, so its not reliable enough to use.

Odd.. looking into libnet 1.1.3-rc1 I see no provision in the code for sending link packets via anything else than a packet socket which should make it impossible to talk to the host..

It you forget about Ethernet and instead send the packet as a raw IP packet then it should reach the host, but you must then fake ARP responses on behalf of the host.

I guess we should just do it the hard way - when grabbing packets that are
meant for the host, fake the request (fake a ping, manually do the socket call,
etc) and send the result back to the vde.

You mean diverting them to slirp? Some additional magics for ARP will be required.. also it doesn't solve host talking to the guest..

Regards
Henrik