qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:19:15 -0500

"Herbert Poetzl"

>> Some, such as myself, still use 800x600.  I do it out of necessity.  I
>> have
>> poor eyesight and don't have the spare cash (or desk space!) for a 21
>> inch
>> monitor.  And LCD monitors tend to have too high a native resolution.
>> With
>> my current 17" monitor, I simply can't handle anything beyond 800x600.
>
> why not use a virtual desktop of larger size and

I've tried virtual desktops a couple times, but I never really liked them.

And not every programm really worked right.  Some still want the full
virtual desktop size instead of visible size.

Shifting the desktop window around the whole virtual desktop was just never
convenient.  It's just a heck of a kludge.  It works, but it's not really
usable.

It's a lot easier to just leave it at 800x600 which I can see.  And, after
all, it was the size that Windows XP was actually designed and optimized
for.

> pan the mouse to the current 'view' which can be 800x600
> or even less if your bad eyesight requires that ...

I can manage 800x600 on a 17" monitor okay.  For short times, I can manage
1024x768 or 1280x1024 if I have to.  But not easily.  800x600 is okay
though.  I do have quite a few 'floaters' in my eyes, but that doesn't
really effect the resolution I need.

And no, new glasses don't really help all that much...

Eventually, I will need to get a large LCD monitor and just use it at a
reduced resolution.

At the moment, that's too expensive.  However, with manufacturers playing
around with printable flat screens, organic lcd's, etc, things will
hopefully change in a year or two, and large LCD's will be cheap enough to
buy a large 19" or 21" LCD monitor.

I still think that for qemu (or any vitual computer), scroll windows, scaled
displays and even custom sized guest screens are simply a good idea.

That way you can have the qemu window at whatever size is convenient.

My situation is not common, but it's still just as useful if you are using a
1024x768 desktop and need that size or larger in qemu.

Or are using an LCD monitor with a fixed 1024x768 display (or whatever) and
need to use a guest screen larger than that.  A crt can easily go to 1280 or
whatever, but LCD's can't.  So an emulator needs to come up with a solution
to that, anyway.

And sometimes, you just don't want an emulator taking up most of the screen.
A reduced window with a scaled or scrolled guest screen is simply handy.