qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: xen is not working with qemu0.7/kqemu

From: G L
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: xen is not working with qemu0.7/kqemu
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:43:27 +0200

>> If qemu with the kqemu module can run under xen, this
>> alleviates part of the pressure of getting xen to run
>> windows under a linux host.
>
>but of course, it will also kill the good performance
>xen could have with a windows support (which already
>worked, but is very unlikely to work in the future, as
>it requires M$ to adapt their OS to the xen architecture)
>
>best,
>Herbert

Won't it be possible to adapt kqemu/qvm86/qemu to make it aware of the
Xen architecture (i-e, "porting Qemu to xen") Please note that this is
a purely rethorical question, as I don't know what it really involves.

On the other hand, Mark Williamson, one of the Xen dev pointed on Xen
devel ML on a very interesting document from Microsoft
(http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/f/98f3fe47-dfc3-4e74-92a3-088782200fe7/TWAR05013_WinHEC05.ppt)

It seems that MS will follow an approach similar to Xen for their
future virtualization technology (maybe because MS research was
involved in Xen's first steps)

We can dream and hope that it will be possible to adapt Xen to run MS
VM  (though I believe MS will do whatever is possible to make this
impossible).

MH2C,
Gildas