qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:29:08 -0500

From: "David Woodhouse"

> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 21:48 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
>> It's been said before that the long-term solution is to
>> [incrementally] remove dyngen altogether, and replace it with a
>> had-written code generator. I've discussed this in a bit more detail
>
> How feasible would it be to do this as an alternative front end to GCJ's
> JIT?

I am definetly out of my depth here, but... Speaking of GCJ's JIT...

Sometime back, Ian Rogers here brought up the PearColator project at:
http://www.binarytranslator.org/

***
I have been working on an open source Java based PowerPC emulator based
around a JVM's optimising compiler. If you have long running server like
workloads then I have found the performance is approaching QEMU fast
whilst having memory supported by a page based system. However, the
system is a lot less sophisticated - booting operating systems and being
a generic emulator is a distant reality. I have created a website at
http://www.binarytranslator.org/ or
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/apt/projects/jamaica/tools/PearColator/ . I'm
sure some people would be interested in this and may feel like they want
to contribute. I'm happy to oblige and to share with QEMU. Thanks,
***

Looks like he's getting at least some tolerable numbers...

As I said above, I'm out of my depth here.  I just thought it was worth
bringing this up in case people had forgotten about it.