qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qvm86, kqemu and video speed

From: Struan Bartlett
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qvm86, kqemu and video speed
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:07:44 +0200

Hi,

I've run some Windows 2000 performance tests on Qemu using a program called PassMark PerformanceTest. You can find some results here - http://www.praguespringpeople.org/Struan/Software/QEMU/Performance/2005-03-29/ - I'll put more there when I make them.

The results seem to me to suggest that emulated performance is weakest on video operations - which doesn't surprise me if it is necessary for every pixel change to be emulated - and while this won't be an issue for some Qemu users it will I expect be a major issue for others.

I understand qvm86 and kqemu provide some virtualisation of the host machine, including allowing the guest some direct memory access. Is it conceivable for these modules to be extended to allow the guest machine to directly write to host video memory, or else to a host memory buffer that is copied into the Qemu window?

Struan