qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion - trap window-close of VM

From: Joshua Kugler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion - trap window-close of VM
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:13:29 -0900

On Monday 28 March 2005 06:04, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > Alternatively, how do people deal with the problem of naive users who
> > might just close the Qemu window without shutting down the guest
> > properly? I'm working in a KDE environment -- perhaps there is a way
> > in KDE to prevent the close button from appearing? But that wouldn't
> > catch every case either (for instance, if the user were to shut down
> > the host).
>
> Doesn't X allow a handler to be called for events like window closing?  You
> could use this to pop up a "You've asked to close this VM.  Kill, save or
> cancel?" message and allow the user to choose the appropriate option.

Yes it does.  Try closing your mail window when composing a message, or
closing open office with an unsaved document. They'll ask you if you want to
save or discard changes.  VMWare asks you if you want to close the running
system if you try to use the close window command.  So yes, you can trap
that.

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator