qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion - trap window-close of VM

From: Ryan Rempel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion - trap window-close of VM
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:49:13 -0600

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 21:46:54 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote

>On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:43:56PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>> A thought that occurred to me. If one is running a virtual machine (eg
>> copy of WinXP), then simply closing the qemu window is a really bad
>> idea, since it will effectively crash the guest.
>
>Related thought -- it would be way cool if we could make killing qemu
>do exactly happens when you press the power button on an ACPI-capable
>machine with any recent OS on it (auto shutdown.)

I was wondering if anyone has followed up on this suggestion. I'm
putting together a Qemu-based setup for some relatively naive users,
and ideally I'd like to be able to deal with this in a reasonable
elegant way (the ACPI hook sounds very elegant indeed).

Alternatively, how do people deal with the problem of naive users who
might just close the Qemu window without shutting down the guest
properly? I'm working in a KDE environment -- perhaps there is a way
in KDE to prevent the close button from appearing? But that wouldn't
catch every case either (for instance, if the user were to shut down
the host).