qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] pciproxy status?

From: Karsten N. Strand
Subject: [Qemu-devel] pciproxy status?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:22:02 +0100

Hi,
First I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the development of qemu, and that I think it's currently one of the most technical interesting open source projects these days. Then the question..

What's the status of the pciproxy patch? Is it still work in progress, or have it stalled now? What about pci DMA support?

The reason I ask is because I want to try to reverse engineer my EMU-1820 pci soundcard, with the intention of getting it supported in linux. And qemu with pciproxy support seems like the perfect tool for this job.

My progress so far:

Got the newest qemu cvs to compile with the pciproxy 0.3 patch with a few modifications, installed Windows XP without any troubles at all (I'm impressed! :), and booted up qemu-softmmu with -pciproxy 02:06.2 (or something like that). The card was detected in the virtual machine, and I started installation of the driver. After accepting the unsigned driver, qemu hanged, and I couldn't get any response in the vm.

At that point I had to go to bed (3 hours sleep before work is a minimum :P), so I haven't had the chance to investigate the hang further yet. However I suspects that in any case it probably needs DMA support through the pci proxy, since soundcards usually do..

If anyone is interested I can post the updated patch later (right now I'm at work, and the code is at home). Any thoughts or comments on this would be very appreciated :)

Kind regards,
Karsten N. Strand