qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MS-DOS Network Client

From: Andreas Krause
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MS-DOS Network Client
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:34:19 +0100

I finally ran out of ideas.

All I wanted to do is:

Host OS: XP
Guest OS: DOS
boot some DOS
setup Network (Lan Manager with TCP/IP transport)
login to some Windows NT4.0 domain
mount a share
run an install.bat located on this share

I tried almost every combination of the following variables:

MS-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS
NE2000/ISA, RTL8029/PCI
user-net, tap
different BIOSses
different qemu-releases (0.6.0, 0.6.1, daily builds)
different network stacks (MS Network Client, WatTCP)
DHCP, fixed IP (10.0.2.x in user mode, 192.168.0.x in tap mode)

Completely no success.

In other OSs than DOS (Knoppix, NT4.0) networking works perfectly in almost
every combination without any effort.

In DOS, I could load both, ne2000.dos and pcind.dos, by using a current bochs
BIOS - but not a single packet seems to be transmitted in any configuration.
In Linux and NT4.0 networking work's perfectly with the same parameters.

Any clue? Did anyone run MS-DOS LAN Manager ind qemu successfully? Please, if
any of the developers could try this combination and anlyaze somehow deeper
than I am able to do? All I can do is try & error all day...

Thanks in advance

CU - nak