qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ESC key problems & keyboard problems

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ESC key problems & keyboard problems
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:16:22 +0100

There was a fix in CVS some days ago which made ESC available with keymaps. If you get errors on your console when pressing ESC, you should try a newer CVS snapshot.

Oliver Gerlich

Paulo R. Dallan schrieb:
Hi!

I've been using qemu/kqemu in a linux host - very nice work folks, congratulations.

I'm just having a little keyboard problem. Unfortunately, if I don't choose a keyboard layout ("-k pt-br"), the key "/" and "?" is not recognized either in Linux or Windows (its a Brazilian ABNT2 keyboard).

However, when I choose a keyboard map ("-k en-us", for example), the ESC key does not work.

Is anyone having the same problem?

PS: Just a side note, some time ago, there was a similar little bug in kbd, after compiling dri - open source video acceleration drivers - from sources, by which certain keys - especially this "/" and "?" key was not recognized; I noticed the problem after installing a dri video driver from source, and solved it through the quick & dirty solution I described here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7263141

More comments about it here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7264988

and here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7289423

Considering that according to information contained in qemu source files related to the keyboard layouts, same are based on kbd, and as it seems some information may have come from Red Hat 7 or 9.0 (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC42), which uses xfree86 (which dri also used at the time), there may be some connection between the problems and the solution to this little annoyance in qemu may be related (not sure how the keymaps are used in qemu though)...

Another note is that there was no such problem after dri moved to xorg (and its kbd version). Don't know if this has been solved in later xfree86 editions.

Anyway, best regards and congratulations for the excellent work!

Paulo