qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] W2K SP0 Status (was: Re: 2.6.10-mm3: swsusp: out of memory

From: Tim
Subject: [Qemu-devel] W2K SP0 Status (was: Re: 2.6.10-mm3: swsusp: out of memory on resume)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:02:14 -0500

> I did not enable SSE and MMX for x86 because I fear there are still bugs
> which may cause regressions. Interested people can enable the line:
>
> --
>      env->cpuid_features |= CPUID_FXSR | CPUID_MMX | CPUID_SSE |
> CPUID_SSE2 | CPUID_PAE;
> --
>
> and see if their OS and application still work.

I am using exclusively x86 on x86 (target=i386-softmmu).

I just booted one of my older win2k images without this enabled.
Everything came up fine, and I am still stuck with the SP4 installer
(spews the same "an error has occured" that I have reported in the
past.)  No change here.

Then I added the two lines you mention in target-i386/helper2.c, and
recompiled.  Upon booting this old image again, everything worked as
expected.  I tried installing SP4 and I got the same old error.  So,
this initial test showed no difference with MMX et al. enabled.  (I was
hoping that MMX capabilities would fix their SP4 installer, but no
luck there.)

Next, I kept MMX stuff enabled, and began installing win2k with an image
of the install CD.  The disk is partitioned and formatted fine.  After
the first reboot, and round of hardware detection, I get the dreaded
"not enough space on disk" error.  It gives me the software selection
screen, and it indicates there is 0 space left on disk.  I don't
remember how I got around this last time.  I'll keep trying.  (fyi- I
created this image with 'qemu-img win2k.img 3G'.)

In short, I don't see any differences so far, besides the disk issue
that comes and goes for those installing Win2k.

tim