qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Encrypted disk image + console (-nographic)

From: Tom Hack
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Encrypted disk image + console (-nographic)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:51:09 +0100

I saw the following problem:

I tried qemu using the -nographic option.
If I start an operating system on an encrytped disk-image (qcow),
i see the prompt for entering the password.
It seems that qemu starts with the serial output/input console,
so i have to press Ctrl-A+C to get to the monitor console.
Now I can enter the correct password, but it won't run.
(No serial output, no CPU usage on the host-system)

Maybe qemu doesn't get the right password from the console?

I tried it under Debain-stable and FreeBSD 5.3.
(direct access and over SSH)

Entering the password in the GUI of qemu works just fine, and the
system boots up.
Also converting the image to an unencrypted image and running it then
works good (in -nographic and GUI mode)

Did anyone had similar problems ?

Best Regards
Tom Hack