qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] iemulator

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] iemulator
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:54:15 -0800

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:59, Elefterios Stamatogiannakis wrote:

>   But address@hidden does not exist.
>
>   Somebody should explain to them what the GPL means, but without
> contact information this cannot happen.

Have they violated the GPL yet?

For that to happen, someone has to have the binary distributed to them
(for example, you could buy a copy). That's when the GPL kicks in, since
you can ask for a copy of the GPLed portions of the sourcebase, and they
have to give it to you.

That said, if they don't give it up, you wouldn't have any standing to
take them to court since you don't own the copyright. The author would
have to initiate legal action.

But at this point it's not clear to me anything is legally wrong yet.
Morally/ethically however, I'd like to see them be more up front about
the fact that they are selling a packaged QEMU+frontend, rather than
just a brief mention in the FAQ.

-- John.