qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k was:Qemu won't cold boot XP

From: Jason Brittain
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k was:Qemu won't cold boot XP
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:11:15 -0700

zitu wrote:
Quoting Jens Arm <address@hidden>:

BTW how it the state of Disk-Problem fixes?
Looks like that different possible Possibilities to get the disk geometry
return different parameters for the disk.

On the snapshot I mentionned yesterday, the problem was still there.
I can use it to boot an existing image of sp2/nlite, but it does
something then to redetect the hdd hardware. Once it reboots, nothing
works anymore.

If you use the latest snapshot to make a fresh install, it goes all
the way to the final boot, request to improve your graphics, etc...
Once shutdown, the image is not bootable by this snapshot, nor
v0.6 :(((

I commented out line 1896 in hw/ide.c, and everything went back to
normal. But the images corrupted remained corrupted. I had to do
a fresh install. No problem since my streamlined sp2 disc was shrunk
to 127M by nlite (remove all): it needs less than 512M of hdd and
about 20mn now to install under qemu.

Ahh!  In that case..  with my patched qemu (CVS HEAD with that line
commented out), I did a from-scratch reinstall after making a new
COW image file, and I was indeed able to do a successful cold boot
afterwards!  So, it works now.  :)  I didn't know I needed to start
over from scratch -- that the bug actually corrupts the disk image
enough for it to not work with a patched qemu binary.

Thanks guys!

--
Jason Brittain