qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU-fast and guest os

From: Dan B. Mann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU-fast and guest os
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:09:34 -0400

Hi,

  Thanks for the great program QEMU.  For the most part it works very
well on Ubuntu Linux as a host running Windows 2003 Server as a guest.
I found that the Realtek 8029 device driver works for the Windows 2003
Server ne2000 network card.  I have a copy of the driver in a zip file
and can send it to anyone who asks - just send me a message.  I also
have screen shots if anyone has a place to host them :-)

Back to my question:  can or will qemu-fast ever be able to have
Windows/XP/2000/2003 as a guest?  I am looking for a way to run several
machines on my virtual network for testing purposes - like a server and
a couple of clients - all running on the same host os.  Obviously I'd
like my virtual machines to run as quickly as possible :-)

My next question is about networking - On my Windows 2003 guest (running
-user-net) I'm getting corrupted downloads.  Is this specific to
-user-net, my network driver under windows, or a qemu setting?  I saw
mention of the clock issues, and one build of qemu told me to echo 1024
> /proc/something but after I built a newer snapshot it never said this
again.  I also wondered if the tun interface was more reliable than the
-user-net interface?

Lastly, are there any big plans for the future of QEMU?

Thanks!!

DanM