qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem with embedded SDL window

From: Fred Schaettgen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem with embedded SDL window
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:51:07 +0200

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 15:04, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:25:41 +0200, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm currently working on a little external gui for qemu which embeds the
> > SDL window into its application window. It works quite well so far, but
> > I've got some problems with grabbing the mouse.
>
> Cool! I've been working on something similiar. Are you using XEmbed? I've
> just been trawling through the SDL code because I wanted to stop it from
> mapping until the user had asked the VM to run.

Yes, that's another problem. At the moment the SDL window pops up for a moment
before it is swallowed by the gui. I don't think this can be fixed without a
little support from qemu. Regarding XEmbed - I just use the QXEmbed-Widget
from KDE. It offers two modes of operation, XEmbed and "XPlain". I don't know
what I miss if I use XPlain, but it seems to work well enough. I thought that
XEmbed would need support from qemu again, so I didn't even try it.

You say you're working on something similar - what exactly do you have in
mind? And what other (Linux-)GUIs for qemu are there? I only know about kqemu
so far.

I am also interested into some "official" comment on external GUIs. I've
searched the archives a little, but I don't know in which direction qemu will
be heading. I don't want to put much effort into an external gui, if qemu
will get it's own built-in gtk gui. In my eyes it would be better to provide
one simple interface, which is used by all GUIs then. But that's obviously
not my decision.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen