qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] boot from "live cd" in qemu ?

From: jmf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] boot from "live cd" in qemu ?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:13:45 -0400 (EDT)

How can I boot from a BSD or Linux "live cd" in qemu ?

qemu allows the user to set it's emulated "devices" to arbitrary files or real
devices so I tried to set the cdrom, or an iso image, to fda or hda but this
did not work:

$ qemu -hda /dev/cdrom

$ qemu -hda livecd.iso

$ qemu -fda /dev/cdrom

$ qemu -fda livecd.iso

all fail to boot. What I would like to do would be something like

$ qemu -boot_from_cdrom ./mylivecd.iso

or

$ qemu -boot_from_cdrom /dev/cdrom

If this is possible, how? If it is not possible, will this feature be added in
the future? "live cds" are so popular now, this would be very helpful.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com