qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Windows-networking with qemu

From: Asphalia VOF - Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Windows-networking with qemu
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:58:50 +0200

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up a terminal-server wich uses FreeBSD to login to and Qemu to launch Windows.

I've managed to install Windows 2000 SP3 using Qemu-0.6 and after a lot of hassle everything is working fine. When I launch Qemu with -user-net I can browse the web etc. but I cannot connect to my Windows Server whatsoever. I expected this, and tried to solve this using other types of networking.

When I launch qemu using the /dev/tap0-device I encouter some problems: each instance of Qemu is using another device, wich is causing problems when trying to bridge the network or when using NAT. I'm still puzzling with the qemu-ifup, but the main problem is the NAT-ing. I tried to convince Qemu to use tap0 each and every time, but this fails (tried -tun-fd etc). I once had a bridge working, but Windows sees no activity on the virtual line. NAT-ting gives other problems with routing ports etc.

I know that some things should be possible when using the Berkely Packet Filter, but if Qemu supports this I do not know how (Bochs can, but Bochs has other problems). On Linux, the solution with vdeqemu might work, but I'm ot using Linux, and I haven't found a vde-port yet for FreeBSD.

So, my question is: is there a way to set up qemu with FreeBSD as host-OS so that I can acces my Windows-network (wich is accessible by my FreeBSD-host)? This has to work for multiple instances of qemu at the same time.

Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Regards,

Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek