qemu-devel

Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: Re: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:40:42 +0200

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 08:01:14PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Okay, so I hacked together a driver which is able to read at least the
> newest Knoppix image (from 3.6EN).
>
> Only problem: When you start it with
>
> qemu -hda /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX \
>   -kernel /cdrom/boot/isolinux/linux24 \
>   -initrd /cdrom/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz \
>   -append root=/dev/hda
>
> Knoppix believes it runs from the HD (installed version) and does not
> recreate /etc/fstab, and then just stops.

Well... If you look at /cdrom/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg you can see the
APPEND lines it uses, e.g.
        APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=de apm=power-off vga=791
initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

 So it starts /etc/init inside the initrd, which calls /linuxrc.
You'll have to hack that to mount /KNOPPIX uncompressed from hda
instead of via cloop from /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, and maybe pass
-cdrom /dev/cdrom to qemu too as it also mounts that to /cdrom.

 HTH,
        Juergen